Sunday, February 1, 2009

A sign of the times


Hello Friends, it has been awhile since I have been able to blog. I have certainly missed it and all of you. However, today while watching my favorite Sunday morning show, CBS Sunday Morning, it reminded me of the small pleasures in life that have evolved into everyone wants everything "fast, fast" today. This is over a 30 yr span. For instance I remember when letter writing used to be such a great surprise to the receiver. It is always a great feeling to go to the mailbox and find a handwritten letter from a friend or loved one. Today it's all about texting, email and voice mail. Sure these are all great features to our lives, but lack the "personal" touch. My Son Alex is a BIG texter and cannot seem to put down his phone, if he gets a text he has to see it and respond. Kids today need to be taught by the Parents, that cell phones are to be used when needed, oh but I forgot, most adults are constantly on them, just about every car you see, the driver has a cellphone stuck to their ear. I can't stand to see that, they drive horrible and this is the role model, tsk tsk. How many kids out there even know what a "land line" is? Not many. Cell phones came out and allowed us more time to do more things and it was more cost effective to get rid of the "home" phone and just use cell phones. I have gone through that and now have a home phone again, it is tied through my cable, however we get unlimited long distance, so I can call my Parents anytime for FREE, so that trumps the cellphone. These are just 2 timeless memories of the simplicities of life.
If only we could force ourselves to spend more time with our families and less time working 6 or 7 days a week, or talking, texting or emailing how much better a "people" we would be, hmmm........what a concept.
I have managed to squeeze this writing in between the Super Bowl and time with the family. We have had a great weekend and I just had to get this in. Too bad for my Arizona Cardinals.

Remember: Focus on family

3 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

Cathy!! I missed you the last couple of weeks. Welcome back!

First I totally agree with you about hand written letters being so much better. I just wish I could write like I used to..the computer at least lets me say some of what I want. I really miss letters though. They are so special.

I hate the cell phone using wherever you are. My biggest pet peeve is when someone would be talking away on their phone and I'd be trying to take their order. Grrr I would get so mad. And I never use my cell while driving. It's so dangerous. I do text though..sometimes quite a lot. (But again, never while driving!)

On a different note, Carol gave everyone a pretty friendship award. It's a big hug :-) I'd love for you to accept one from me. ♥

Love ya girl so glad you're having a nice weekend!

jennyb48 said...

you won an award on my blog! check it out! hurray!



and i know what a land line is! i didn't get a cell phone until high school... so about 2001!

Ashley Smith said...

Hello Aries28,

Its been years since my family even owned a land line...I have another mother who sends me hand-written "Thiking of You" cards and I always appreciate these.

Ashley